If you are running a local business you know how vital it to rank your business at multiple locations is. However many times these local businesses find it really difficult to rank their websites at various locations without being penalized by Google as they may have unknowingly fell at the wrong side of the fence. In this article we shall take up some ways to ethically rank the web pages. In addition we shall try to ascertain certain things that Google is looking for in perfect local web pages. Along with this there will be an attempt to defend latest upgrades of algorithms.
Local businesses have lots of pages to target various locations. Surrounding different locations they may add additional pages for targeting different cities. If this is done in a good way this can significantly enhance your marketing and let others know your business. However there remain a lot of loopholes such as
1: Roughly crafted web pages.
2: Simple template pages are there with various details modified for different locations.
3: Location greed with a whole lot of created pages is an abused path of business. Sometimes a hurry to rank your web pages very fast may land you in a soup.
Now latest reason to worry is an announcement made by Google to update its Doorway Pages Algorithm which may catch hold of innocent looking local business websites. If thinking intelligently, these problems may be turned over into lucrative opportunities.
Which websites are targeted by Google? – This is an obvious question in our minds. Let us see which pages act as culprit.
- If the pages’ content, design, loading speed, meta-key, alt tag and meta-description are of poor quality then this is bad for their health. However problem only arises when in spite of these loop-holes, these pages try to ascend the ladder of page-rank through dubious manners like that of formulation of ‘doorway pages’.
- Multiple pages or domain names that are targeted for some particular region or city to funnel in visitors to a certain page.
- Pages are created to focus visitors towards relevant regions of your website.
Few Ways to combat algorithm update
- Ins and outs of various locations and city pages: Let us check out the URLs and associated hierarchy of some local areas in UK.
- To focus upon larger areas of a mega-city such as Birmingham associated with sub-areas we may use the url in following way:
Here what we meant is to stick with the context of various subjects such as your specific business and the visitors. Location pages should be upon specific pages with crawl able and unique contents.
- Proper navigation and internal links: In accordance with above example let us implement a simple navigational option for the sub-areas of Birmingham. Let us have a ‘drop-down’ for the areas so that the page fits into ‘brows able hierarchy’. This is an easy way by which the visitors can locate pages of specific areas. For the narrower hierarchy the locations are as follows:
- Targeting the keywords: There should be optimally fitting description to state your type of business and where you are located, not something clumsy like-
Location Page-Electrician based in Walmley- Simon’s electrician.
- Structured and schema markup- Schema.org is an important page guide that acts as structured data markup. You must follow the guide so that your contents could be more accurately presented to algorithms thereby increasing the probability that the contents will be effectively understood by Google.
There are many reputed and excellent local SEO services in your area that may help you tremendously to use ethical measures to rank your web pages at high places. You may seek their help to ethically bring up your web page rank. Play safe and play smart.